Make a paper plate snowman using some cotton balls. This DIY activity is a great craft project that kids can do with their parents especially during the winter season. You may use this snowman as an awesome decoration that you can put up on your wall this Christmas. Have a merry good time crafting!
- Compass or any cylindrical image you can trace to make a circle.
- Drawing Materials
- Paper Plates (at least three)
- Cotton Balls
- Glue, Tape, or Glue Gun
- Pipe Cleaner
- Googly Eyes
- Black Buttons
- Black and Orange Paint
Shape the snowman’s head
With a compass, draw a circle half the circumference of the paper plate.
The maximum width of my paper plate is 9 inches, so the circle I drawn has a circumference of 4.5 inches.
Cut the circle made with a pair of scissors.
The base head of your snowman is done!
Make the snowman’s carrot nose and top hat.
Draw the snowman’s nose and hat on the same paper plate as the snowman’s head. Draw it however you like. Just make sure they are proportionate to the snowman’s head. After drawing, cut along the outline of your drawing.
Your cutouts should look like this.
Now paint the top hat with black paint then the nose with some orange paint. While letting the paint dry, proceed with the next step.
Build your snowman with “snow.”
To mimic snow, we will use cotton balls! Grab the snowman’s paper plate head and a new paper plate. Stick those cotton balls with some glue!
Let’s start with a bigger paper plate. Put some glue on the paper plate first. Then stick the cotton balls to the plate.
Next, do it on the smaller plate. But make sure you do not stick the cotton on the edge of one side.
Put some glue on the side of the smaller plate where you did not put cotton balls. Attach this edge to the bigger paper plate.
The base of your snowman is done!
Add some finishing touches.
Now grab your googly eyes, top hat, carrot nose, and black buttons, and stick it to your cotton ball snowman.
With a ribbon, tie it to one side of your snowman. Place one ribbon ends at the back to make it look like your snowman is wearing a scarf.
Give your snowman friend some arms by sticking some pipe cleaners. Use glue, hot glue, or tape to stick the arms at the backside.
Your paper plate snowman made of cotton balls is now done! Make some more to build a snowman family.
- You can decorate your paper plate snowman however you like! Give him some mittens or some winter clothes using another paper plate.
- Stick some sequins or glitters to make your snowman sparkle this Christmas.
- If you want to use this as a decoration, use strong double-sided tape to stick it to the wall.
- Make sure the cotton balls used are close to one another. The snowman looks nicer if the cotton balls are compressed.
- When using hot glue, be very careful and use it with an adult’s supervision.