A simple and elegant paper swan is one of the easiest origami birds to make. Great for kids and beginners, this paper swan is very easy to fold and shape. Once finished, your 3D swan origami would make a great decoration anywhere in the house or for a party.
So get a piece of paper, read this guide, and marvel at your origami swan once you are done with it. There are only nine steps so expect this to be a short and simple guide. Have fun folding!
Create the kite-shaped base
For this origami swan, get a square piece of origami paper. It is better to use a paper that has different sides from one another to follow the instructions more clearly.
Lay the origami on a flat surface and rotate the square paper into a diamond. Fold the bottom corner to the top corner. Crease the paper and unfold.
The next step is to fold the top and bottom corner of the origami paper to the center crease line made from the previous step.
This is what your origami should like now - a kite. Now, turn the origami paper to the other side.
Form the body of the origami swan
Now fold the top and bottom corner to the center crease-line made in the first step.
Fold the left corner to the right corner.
Fold the right corner of the top layer to the left. Fold only a small portion. We need a small head and a long neck for the origami to resemble a swan.
Shape the head of the origami swan
Your paper should now look like this. Fold the origami paper backwards in half.
Lift the head and neck of the swan to the left side.
Gently lift the head of the origami swan upwards to the left.
Great job! Your origami swan is done! You have just made a beautiful and elegant bird! Check out some our other guides - we have tons of other cool origami.
- Draw some eyes or stick some googly eyes to bring it to life.
- Besides white swans, did you know there are black swans.? Commonly found in Australia, these swans have black feathers and a red bill. Try making one with black!
- Fold straight and apply enough pressure.
- Make sure to follow the steps closely. But don't forget to have fun!
- Don't be discouraged if you make mistakes and when your paper gets unusable. Get another piece of paper and start over. You can do it.
- We have a dozen of paper tutorial of birds, check out our other easy step-by-step instructions that you can learn here!